Current:Home > reviewsPrince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US -StockSource
Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 03:55:16
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry is challenging on Tuesday the British government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the United States.
The Duke of Sussex said he wants protection when he visits home and claimed it’s partly because an aggressive press jeopardizes his safety and that of his family.
The three-day hearing scheduled to begin in London’s High Court is the latest in a string of Harry’s legal cases that have kept London judges busy as he takes on the U.K. government and the British tabloid media. It was not clear if he would attend Tuesday’s hearing.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge earlier this year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, said he did not feel safe bringing his wife, former actor Meghan Markle, and their two young children back to Britain and was concerned about his own safety after being chased by paparazzi following a London charity event.
Harry’s animosity toward the press dates back to the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in a car wreck as her driver tried to outrun aggressive photographers in Paris. Harry, whose wife is mixed-raced, cited what he said were racist attitudes and unbearable intrusions of the British media in his decision to leave the United Kingdom.
The 39-year-old prince is challenging the decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures to provide his security on a “case by case” basis after moving in 2020 to Canada and then California, where he and his family now reside.
He said the committee unfairly nixed his security request without hearing from him personally and did not disclose the makeup of the panel, which he later learned included royal family staff. He said Edward Young, the assistant private secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, should not have been on the committee because of “significant tensions” between the two men.
The Home Office has argued that any tensions between Harry and the royal household staff was irrelevant and that the committee was entitled to its decision because he had relinquished his role as a working member of the family.
The case is one of five that Harry has pending in the High Court.
The four other lawsuits involve Britain’s best-known tabloids, including a case that alleges the publisher of the Daily Mail libeled him when it ran a story suggesting he had tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. A ruling is expected in that case Friday.
Three other lawsuits allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror, and The Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators to dig up dirt about him.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Blood-spatter analysis helped investigation into husband charged with killing wife and another man
- CEO of hospital operator facing Senate scrutiny will step down following contempt resolution
- Helene wreaking havoc across Southeast; 33 dead; 4.5M in the dark: Live updates
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Proof Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Son Rocky Is Embracing Spooky Season Before Halloween
- ‘Catastrophic’ Hurricane Helene Makes Landfall in Florida, Menaces the Southeast
- 5 people killed in a 4-vehicle chain reaction crash on central Utah highway
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Massachusetts governor says a hospital was seized through eminent domain to keep it open
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- 'Still floating': Florida boaters ride out Hurricane Helene
- Plaintiffs won’t revive federal lawsuit over Tennessee’s redistricting maps
- Love is Blind's Marshall Glaze and Fiancée Chay Barnes Break Up Less Than One Year After Engagement
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Michael Kors’ Secret Sale on Sale Is Here—Score an Extra 20% off Designer Handbags & More Luxury Finds
- Micah Parsons left ankle injury: Here's the latest on Dallas Cowboys star defender
- Why 'My Old Ass' is the 'holy grail' of coming-of-age movies
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Indianapolis man sentenced to 189 years for killing 3 young men found along a path
Salvador Perez's inspiring Royals career gets MLB postseason return: 'Kids want to be like him'
Fossil Fuel Presence at Climate Week NYC Spotlights Dissonance in Clean Energy Transition
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Allison Holker Shares How Her 3 Kids Met Her New Boyfriend Adam Edmunds
Stephen Amell was focused on 'NCIS' spinoff when he landed 'Suits' gig
‘Saturday Night Live’ launches 50th season with Jean Smart, Jelly Roll and maybe Maya as Kamala